Friday, November 26, 2010

Matthew 25:35-40

Photo thanks to JennaL of WaitWaitWhereIsShe.blogspot.com

...for I was hungry and you gave me food,
I was thirsty and you gave me drink,
I was a stranger and you welcomed me,
I was naked and you clothed me,
I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me...
Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren,
you did it to me."
(RSV)

These verses came to mind the other day and I just couldn't locate them. Then, as I was considering a photo in a magazine for the charity Smile Train which preforms cleft surgery for children in poor regions of the world, I opened the Bible to the very page with those verses.

Honestly.

I did not make this up.

And then a thought occurred.

Had Jesus been on earth, He would have simply touched the childrens' lips and they would have been healed. Perhaps He is touching the children by placing opportunities for others to support charities like
Smile Train. And in turn, when I serve others, I am serving Him.

And then I had another thought.

If Christians would be consumed with these missions which God gave us, rather than with political power plays and protests and tv punditry, what a different world it would be.

Ah, but I'd better begin down that path myself, first.


No comments:

Post a Comment